Tuesday, March 10, 2009

March 11

I want to take this opportunity to pay tribute to the victims of the Madrid train bombing on March 11, 2004. Tomorrow will be the fifth anniversary. While 9-11 touched all of us, this one especially touched me as I studied in Spain during my junior year. For someone to commit such as brutal act of terror in what was a truly special place for me was heartbreaking. Now I know why there is so much emotion of the suicide bombers and terror attacks in Israel. Israel is part of the Holy Land, and for me Spain was my "holy land." It is a country of diverse towns, castles, palaces, and cathedrals that history has left unchanged. I made many great friends and came home with a lifetime of memories and hope to go back someday. Let us take a moment tomorrow to remember the victims of this and other terror attacks and hope for and end to this and all types of brutality and conflict.

No comments:

Post a Comment