Saturday, October 3, 2009

Its Rio!

Rio de Janiero was selected to host the 2016 Summer Olympic Games. Surprisingly Chicago went out in the first round. Madrid got to the final so at one point I was giddy with excitement about a possible return to the place I lived for four months. At least I won't have to wait that long. While it was not my top choice I am pleased that a barrier was broken and the Games will head to South America for the first time as the early part of this century has seen a lot of barriers broken down such as this (and I expect more).

Unfortunately, the conservatives were actually pleased that Chicago did not get the Olympics because it meant a setback for President Obama. I thought it was somewhat unpatriotic to be supporting Madrid and these people are happy that we did not get it. I think the Olympics transcends politics and this is going to new lows. I also would not be cheering if Bush had done the same for New York four years ago and the result had been the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment